Arkansas Department of Education
Educational Freedom Account (EFA) Learns Act
Conway Christian School will be applying to the Arkansas State Department of Education to participate in the Educational Freedom Act (EFA) / LEARNS ACT for the 2024-25 school year. Education Freedom Accounts is a school choice initiative that empowers parents by providing funding for eligible students attending participating schools.
What Does This Mean for Your Family
The EFA / LEARNS Act will allow families with eligible students to obtain state funds for private school tuition and other specified educational expenses. The approximate amount for the 2024-25 school year is $6,856 per eligible child.
WHAT IS THE BASIC CRITERIA FOR QUALIFICATION FOR THE
2024-25 SCHOOL YEAR
The student must have at least one parent who is a resident of Arkansas and the student must meet one of the following criteria:
- A student who is enrolling in K5 for the first time.
- A student with a disability identified under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, 20 U.S.C 1400 et seq., as it existed on January 1, 2023.
- A foster care child or a former foster child.
- A child of active-duty military personnel as identified under Title 10 or Title 32 of the United States Code.
- Children whose parents are veterans or in the military reserves.
- Children of law enforcement officers.
- Children of first responders (fireman, paramedics and EMT’s), Any person who responds before the patient goes to the hospital.
- A student who was enrolled in the previous school year in a: (1) Public school that has a rating of “D or F” in the 2023-24 school year.
WHAT IS THE CRITERIA FOR QUALIFICATION FOR THE 2025-26 SCHOOL YEAR AND BEYOND
In the 2025-26 school year, any K-12 student in the state of Arkansas will qualify for an EFA account as long as the private school is participating in the program.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I QUALIFY?
In order to determine if a child is eligible to receive EFA funds, the parent must complete an application found on the Arkansas State Department of Education (ADE) Website. If your child is approved, you will be eligible to receive EFA funds toward your tuition and other approved educational expenses.The online application for the 2024-25 school will be posted by the state department of education at a time to be determined (Likely March 15th or after).
In the 2024-25 school year, there is a statewide cap on the percentage of students who can participate in the Educational Freedom Account. The cap is 3% of the total public school population. This is a reason to apply early if you believe your child would qualify to receive the funds.
STATEMENT FROM THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
With the decision by the Conway Christian School Board of Trustees, all our constituents should understand that we will only participate in this program as it allows for us to continue to operate autonomously with our mission and core values in place. We will always be a private school whose dedication to Christian education will not waiver. If this program ever changes, and infringes on our rights as a private Christian employer/educational institution, then we will immediately pull out of the program.
To learn more about the Education Freedom Act / LEARNS ACT, please google Arkansas Educational Freedom Account and click on Educational Freedom Account tab.
The school will update this information as we receive it from the Arkansas State Department of Education.